A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE HAMPTON COVE CHURCH OF CHRIST . . .
The church of Christ dates back to the days of the New Testament (Romans 16:16). It was founded by Christ on the day of Pentecost, A.D. 33 (Acts 2), just fifty days after his ascension back to heaven. In the years that followed it rapidly grew to fill Jerusalem, then Judea, Samaria, and finally the whole Roman Empire (Acts 1:8; Colossians 1:23). To put it simply, we are seeking to be the same church that one reads about in the New Testament. Our aim is to restore the doctrine, practice, lifestyle, and zeal of the New Testament church.
The Hampton Cove congregation dates back to the 1920’s. Our first location was near the lake on Old Big Cove Road at the intersection of Terry Drake Road, on land donated by Mrs. Grayson. We were first known as the Grayson Chapel Church of Christ. Some of the original families who were related to our current members: Joe Andrews, father of Jimmie Lou Newman; Prentice McKay, father of Isabelle Armstrong and grandfather of Nina Armstrong and great-grandfather of Shane Armstrong; Grover Parker, uncle of Ben Parker; Henry Tuck, father-in-law of Dorothy Tuck; Zack Wakefield, grandfather of Jimmie Lou Newman. Other families included the John James family, Charles Adair family, and several Sadler families. In 1949 John James donated land on Sutton Road and a new building was constructed and the congregation’s name was changed to Big Cove church of Christ. In 1995 the congregation moved into it’s present facilities at 409 Old Big Cove Road. In January 2007 the name was changed to Hampton Cove Church of Christ because the area became known as Hampton Cove. . . and the story continues!